Sunday 20 December 2009

Donde está mi pasaporte?!

I write this at an altitude of 8390m having just taken off from Madrid airport. I travel alone. The Australian girl I was supposed to be traveling with lost her passport (along with $1200 cash) at Heathrow. I am now solely responsible for Monsoon & Accessorize’s entire Spring/Summer fashion campaign, as I have all the clothes for the 2 week photo shoot in my possession, and am charged with getting them through customs at the notoriously crooked Mexican border.

There are many concerns at this stage. Firstly, the entire list of products - that’s 3 giant suitcases and and a smaller one containing jewellery - is in the Aussie's name, meaning there’s no guarantee that they’ll even let me into the country with said merchandise. Secondly, having not actually seen the bags transfer over to the new plane in Madrid, I am at the mercy of Iberia Airlines and can only hope they are safe and sound beneath me.

Then there is the ridiculous irony of entrusting such a large quantity of luggage to someone who once left his bicycle and all his worldly possessions on a bus in Manhattan, while he was in Subway ordering a 6 inch chicken Teriyaki with sweet onion sauce. The level of responsibility thrust upon me is unnerving at best. I must now wait 10 hours and pray to Vishnu that the bags emerge from the hold... and that the customs officer will accept sexual favours as bribery.

No comments:

Post a Comment